Subject: Re: Is anybody working on supporting OS/2's HPFS file system?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/12/1995 22:40:23
Verily did Holger Veit write:

>> Hi!  Is anybody working on supporting OS/2 Warp's HPFS file system, such
>> that I can use mount command to mount the OS/2 partition and perform
>> usual file operation?

> I doubt so, as IBM hasn't released the detailed information on the structure
> and the algorithm used to allocate and write blocks on, as well as fsck'ing
> the HPFS. There is a HPFS-Readonly driver for Linux available - reading
> is easier. You could take it as a possibly unreliable, reference how to
> write a similar FS driver for *BSD (BTW: hasn't this been done already
> at least for FreeBSD some time ago, or am I wrong?)
> There are shareware drivers for DOS that allow writing, but I
> think they have been reverse-engineered from the OS/2 IFS driver.

> Eventually some far time in the future, I'll write the inverse thing,
> an UFS.IFS for OS/2.

That would be nice, especially if it supported symlinks.  There is a
"prototype" (I guess that's what you would call it) fs for OS/2 that did
support symlinks, it was bundled in a HPFS386.ZIP or something like that.

As for the DOS HPFS drivers, they were "crippleware" in the sense that
they were read-only until you registered the software.

I would like to see HPFS drivers, also.  I plan on putting both operating
systems on my machine in the near future (since I removed OS/2 2.1 to
install NetBSD) and I really don't like the FAT style.  :>

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'