Subject: Re: PCI M/Bs and SCSI...
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/1995 02:35:22
Hi, here's my 0.02

>    I've seen a nicely manufactured [&] 486 that has 4 PCI, 1 VLB, 3 ISA
>    with Intel chipset.

Its the PCVI-486AP4 (got the catalog here) based on the Intel Aries
chipset. CT magazine, and local folks say it's dog slow if you kick in the
VL-PCI bridge - I can't confirm that though. Good news is that the
new boards does have the AriesII chipset on, oh and other goodies like
3.3V supply for DX4 and 'PCI enhanced IDE' whatever that means :-)

> This sounds like the ASUS/AUStek PCI/I-486 SP3G.  I've been hearing a
> lot of good things about these boards, though I haven't used one
> myself.

I've got one of those, Intergated SCSI (NCR), IDE, 16550s etc. I got the
old one though with the SMC 16550s (FreeBSD needed a patch - DOS seems to
hate too, but then I gave up on DOS) NetBSD takes it in its stride!
Anyway the new board has a NS PC87332 Super I/O chip with Floppy (2.88), std
IDE, 2x16550, 1xECP/EPP parallel port - I don't like these intergated
jobs, but the board was so cheap I can turf if if it breaks...

With all the ASUS stuff the manufacturing quality is really good - puts
the other more expensive stuff to same over here :-)
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB