Subject: Re: strange NFS behavior
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@lagavulin.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/1994 11:31:44
On Fri, 09 Dec 1994 14:23:11 -0500
 Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU> wrote:

 > what are you using for the NFS read and write sizes?  with a 3c503, i
 > don't think the default (8k) will work reliably.  i'd try 4k, or,
 > better yet, 2k.

Hmmm...Ok - I'll change the defaults (as soon as the C library
compiles...)

 > of course, that shouldn't cause the NFS connection to hang
 > _completely_ just be very, very slow...

Yeah - it goes completely down - after an hour of <hang> or so, it happily
reports:
	NFS server helix:/usr/src not responding

...or whatever the message actually says...but that's the general
jist...I always have to nuke the window...It's totally toast...

Jason R. Thorpe               thorpej@cs.orst.edu                 758-2003
OJGSE NERO Project               CSWest Room 5                    737-5567
Shared Computing Environment Group         http://www.cs.orst.edu/~thorpej

   "Morality and law are merely conventions adopted out of mutual fear."
		-- Plato