Subject: Re: Bounce buffers for ISA dma
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@nirvana.good.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/30/1994 14:35:50
> I am thinking of drivers that serve both ISA and EISA cards (the bt742 driver
> comes to mind).  Also, isn't there a VLB version of the 1542?

Nope, the BT-445S/C are really the only VL Bus options.  The VL bus
Adaptecs are AIC-7700 based (read proprietary downloaded microcode).

> >>Ok, so who wants to do it? :-)
> >
> >The problem is, unless I want to compile on a slow machine and copy a
> >kernel around on a floppy, I can't do it easily.  I can test anything
> >written though once I buy more memory.  ;)
>
> As John Kohl pointed out, you could always do a sample implementation that
> bounced at 8Mb, or something similar.

I've got a 24M system with a spare 1542 laying around.  The primary
controllers are PCI (NCR and BT-946C).  The changes would have to be
1.0 compatabile.  After 11 months of tracking current, I've got a nice
happy stable system, so I'll follow source out of interest, but the
system stays put for now.  In a couple of months I should have a 2nd
system that I can track current with again.

-Mark