Subject: Re: Bounce buffers for ISA dma
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@headcandy.com>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@ksu.ksu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/1994 00:38:40
Verily did "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" write:

> vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl (Frank van der Linden) wrote:

> >Whoever designed the ISA bus anyway? Let's sue.

> Of course, we all know IBM did.  But they designed the ISA bus for the
> 286, which could only physically address that much memory, anyway.

This is getting off of "the beaten path", but what the hell...

Actually, the ISA bus was originally 8-bit for the 8088, and later
was extended (can we say "hacked"?) to the 16-bit one that we are
familiar with now.  Many old 386 motherboards and some 486 ones still
had the 8-bit ISA bus in them.

Amongst the extensions was the advance from 4.77MHz to the semi-standard
8MHz (or is the "standard" 6MHz?).

The ISA bus is a clear example of "advancement through hacks induced by
the ignorant that want backward compatability".  The IDE and EIDE drives
are similiar (IMHO).  Come to think of it, the entire PeeCee world as we
know it now is that way (with a few exceptions).  (heh)

So, the blame can be stuck on the same people who made Word Perfect the
"word processor of choice".   :<

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@ksu.ksu.edu      Life: Rob@Manhattan.Kansas.USA.Earth

"Life's a journey, not a destination."  -- Aerosmith (1993), 'Amazing'