Subject: Re: Bounce buffers for ISA dma
To: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/1994 17:01:59
vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl (Frank van der Linden) wrote:

>Whoever designed the ISA bus anyway? Let's sue.

Of course, we all know IBM did.  But they designed the ISA bus for the
286, which could only physically address that much memory, anyway.
The ultimate culprit here might be Intel, since they designed the
dorky addressing scheme present on all early x86 CPUs.

So, let's sue Intel!  And, maybe we should claim IBM as a co-
defendant, since they should have been smart enough to think ahead and
give the ISA bus more address pins.  But then again... can anyone say
640k?  ;-)

   Michael L. VanLoon     michaelv@HeadCandy.com     michaelv@iastate.edu
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m