Subject: Re: NetBSD and 730 MB IDE Hard Drives
To: Arthur D. Jerijian <jerijian@seas.ucla.edu>
From: Benjamin Cline <benji@haven.boston.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/26/1994 21:38:39
According to Arthur D. Jerijian:

>   I am planning on purchasing a 730 megabyte Western Digital IDE drive.
> Will NetBSD be able to use this drive, or will it complain about the
> number of cylinders being greater then 1024?

As luck would have it, I just installed a 1 GB Western Digital IDE drive in
my 486, and installed NetBSD on a 400 MB partition of it, and I'm pleased to
report it's working just fine.

If you plan on using the whole disk for NetBSD, you should be able to just
it install without any problems.

If you want NetBSD to share the drive with MS-DOS (or some other operating
system), it gets a little more complicated. Western Digital includes a disk
partitoning utility called "Disk Manager", that you need to use to properly
partition the disk (disk manager is written to work around the 1024 cylinder
limitation in dos). I suggest you run it in manual mode (by giving the program
the "/m" flag), which allows one to create both dos and non-dos partitions
(and to even set the partiton type for the non-dos partitions! :-). Disk
manager will also tell you the starting and ending cylinders of the NetBSD
partition, which you will need for disklabel.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

	benji

--
Benjamin R. Cline	Large Furry Mammal 	benji@haven.boston.ma.us
	"I will not be stamped, spindled, folded or multilated.