Subject: Re: PCMCIA support (?)
To: Havard Eidnes <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@convex.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/24/1994 10:23:42
In message <9411232222.AA14169@ravn.runit.sintef.no>  Havard Eidnes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a portable to run NetBSD on, and since this is
> new territory for me, I'd like to know:
>
>  - Does any PCMCIA ethernet and modem cards work with NetBSD?  I don't
>    see any explicit support for PCMCIA in the source (?)

Not in the release, you can get my pcmcia code from
ftp://ftp.cs.washington.edu/pub/ux-pxmxia/netbsd/
It won't compile for the release version, there were to changes close to
the release date which are not accounted for in this version.

I can send you the actual version, and I'm looking for a ftp-server were
I can place this stuff and a port of CAP (Columbia Appletalk Pacckage)
with native Ethertalk Phase II support.

>  - What ethernet cards will work, if any?  Which one would you recommend?

The only suppoted Pcmcia Interface chip is the Intel PCIC 82365 at the moment.
It should be easy to write a new driver for other chips (the rest of the
operation of this code does not depend on the interface chip).

D-Link 650 is known to work, with a little work all NE2000 compatible card's
should work (every one of them seems to put the Ethernet-Address at a different place :-(( )

Because my pcmcia-code enables the card based on the information it
provides, with a little bit more work also all PCMCIA cards which look like
a NetBSD-supported ISA card should work.

XIRCOM won't work!!! No compatible cards, no docs, .... no driver.

>  - What modem cards work, if any?

The only Modem tested is a MegaHertz Modem. Should be easier than Ethernet
to use a different card (as long as it emulates a com-port).

> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Havard

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                          Convex Computer GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany
grefen@convex.com		       Phone: +49-69-665270