Subject: Re: why does cat > /dev/lpt0 return Device not configured?
To: Max Bell <mbell@teleport.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/1994 01:37:58
> I am running 1.0 on a 486DX33.  The address of LPT1 is the common $378, and
> the lpt0 device is configured into the kernel.  I have built and booted from
> the new kernel but attempts to use the /dev/lpt0 and /dev/lpa0 devices via
> cat(1) return "Device not configured".  Attempts to use them via lpd(8)
> result in wedged daemons.  Am I missing something obvious?  From the man page
> for the lpt/lpa device driver, even if LPT1 is not using irq7 wouldn't the
> lpa (polled) flavor work?  Thanks for any and all help!

it sounds to me like you need to re-make the lpt device nodes.  The
way NetBSD handles printer device nodes in NetBSD 1.0 differs from the
way it was done in previous releases.

i believe the correct invocation to do that might be:

	cd /dev
	rm lp?[0-9]
	sh MAKEDEV lpt0 lpt1 lpt2

etc.  but (1) i'm not 100% sure, off-hand, and (2) you should probably
read the MAKEDEV script to see for yourself exactly what that would
do, anyway.  8-)

good luck!

chris