Subject: Re: NCR 810 vs. BT946C -- Efficiency?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dirk Steinberg <Dirk.Steinberg@gmd.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/09/1994 12:16:35

    Thor> The vendor of the machine I'm looking
    Thor> to buy says that for $100 he can toss in an ASUS SC-300
    Thor> controller, which is an 810-based fast/wide SCSI controller.

The NCR 53C810 is not "wide". Just "fast". I think the 53C825 is
wide, fast, differential. Are you sure you really want "wide"?
You'll need special SCSI disks as well for "wide".

    Thor> Having just taken a preliminary wander through pci/ncr.c, I
    Thor> notice a few things:

    Thor> A) for some reason, the driver seems to turn synchronous
    Thor> transfers off.

They can be tured on.

    Thor> B) for some reason, the driver seems to turn wide transfers
    Thor> off.

Don't know.

    Thor> C) at first glance, it looks like the 810 doesn't do
    Thor> busmastering DMA.

It does support busmastering DMA. Don't know about the NetBSD driver,
though.

Greetings,

	Dirk

Dirk W. Steinberg - German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
Institute for Application-Oriented Software- and Systems Technology   (ISA-NW)
Network Engineering Department  -  Rathausallee 10  -   D-53754 Sankt Augustin
Phone: +49 2241 14-3182 - Fax: +49 2241 14-3038 - Email: Dirk.Steinberg@gmd.de