Subject: 1.0 Install problem (maybe)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve M. Acheson <sma@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/1994 12:04:36
Last night I tried the from scratch install to my 486DX33/8mb system.  It worked
for the most part, until it came time to boot off the hard drive.  It boots
through the hardware and when it accesses the hard drive prints out 'no
operating system' and hangs.  Using OS-BS (1.35) I can get it to boot straight
into dos, but OS-BS also gives the no operating system message if trying to
boot into NetBSD.

I can boot from the kcbt-10 floppy and then specify sd(0,a)/netbsd at the boot
prompt.  The system comes up fine and runs without problems (at least for as
long as I would let it, >2hours).

I figure I've done something stupid here, so does anybody have any words of
wisdom?

Details:

MB: Unknown/VLB w/Cyrix486DLC 33
BT445S Scsi controller
Maxtor 540SL scsi id 0  (2243 cyl, 7 heads, 68 sec)
Cache disabled/enabled makes no difference

The system (sans scsi drive, ie with IDE drives) works fine for -current
binaries as of Aug 1, or so.

Disabled the IDE drives under CMOS.  Configured the Maxtor disk as the first
drive, id 0.  Using fdisk created a 10mb dos partition.  Ran pfdisk to get
translated geometry for drive (520c 64h 32s) and the offsets for the dos
partition (20480).

I booted off of the kcbt-10 kernal floppy downloaded from gatekeeper's mirror.
Switched to the inst floppy and the install came up.  Gave it the translated
geometry figures and followed through with the install.  It ran disklabel fine,
and saif it was done.  I continued and installed the various sets and it worked
fine.  When I did a reboot, the system came up and said 'no operating system'.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Acheson                         (415) 604-6555
Sterling Software                     sma@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames
Moffett Field, Ca 94035-1000