Subject: Re: Which Gates to use?
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/25/1994 15:22:24
> Obviously, this requires also having the old call gate, for programs
> compiled for previous versions of NetBSD, and for 386BSD, BSDI, iBCS2,
> and SVR4.  Note that Linux currently uses a trap gate, as far as I
> know.

so, if one were to want to single-step one of these programs, one
would have to fix the call-gate handling, as well, correct?

i'd like some more information, specifically:
	(1) what the concrete speed difference is
	(2) why it's so much harder to just turn off the trace
		bit, the way it's done now.  (my first guess
		is that eflags isn't saved, so there's no easy
		way to save the info from the trace trap handler.)
	(3) what would be done to eliminate the problem for the
		old-style executables.

chris