Subject: Install reports
To: None <glass@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Maxwell 401 Richmond West <david@spinne.web.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/1994 01:28:42

> i.e we've got real distribution sets, and installation floppies out on
> lamp now in NetBSD/arch/i386, and nary a report about sucessful or
> unsucessful installation.
>
> This stuff is going out the door soon, so test now.....

Just installed NetBSD on a virgin (Unix-virgin) 486DX2-66, 4MB Ram, 120MB HD
I'm rlogged into the old NetBSD box from it right now.

I was using the one drive floppies, that is - I have done a full install
without needing a second drive. Boot - setup HD - install - kernel - boot -
Extract file sets. As someone else mentioned, the docs still indicate two
drives are needed.

The install was clean, with the following exceptions/comments.

1)
I get devices pc0 lpt0 wdc0 wd0 fdc0 fd0 fd1 ed0 ie0 and npx0

ie0 comes up with

ie0: unknown AT&T board type code 15

and I can't find a reference to ie0 anywhere in any config files.

2)
After setting up my HD partitions, and copying the kernel, I did a Set_tmp_dir
and an ifconfig, then a mount (for nfs installation).

the mount failed due to errors in the remote setup, but after that I was
unable to ping that nfs server. (100% packet loss) Rebooting the nfs server
did not correct the problem, and re-ifconfig-ing the new 486 caused one more
machine on the local ether to become un-ping-able. (Note that this whole time
another machine was still visible and responding.) The first one I lost
was the old NetBSD box, then an Interactive Unix 486, then a SunOs 4.1.3 IPC.
The sparc-2 remained visible.

Rebooting the new 486 solved this.

							David Maxwell
							david@spinne.web.net