Subject: Re: partitioning MS-DOS problems -- aargh!
To: Ian Fitchet <I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/1994 17:02:15
>	Having solved my vnode and mouse problems (it seems I should
>declare my PS/2 mouse as a BusMouse...) we now have problems with my
>colleague's machine in partitioning his disk.  This affects me as well
>as I'd like to use the wasted space on my second drive (300MB or so).
>[...]
>FIPS version 1.1, Copyright (C) 1993/94 Arno Schaefer

The last time I used FIPS (a few months ago), it didn't do the partitioning
quite right.  As I recall, it got the block size and offsets correct, but it
messed up the cylinder/head data (or maybe it was vice versa :-) ).

I eventually ended up going back with the NetBSD fdisk and putting those values
in sync.  I'd recommend using that or pfdisk to correct the partition table.

(Side note - it might be a good idea to include fdisk on the install floppies;
last time I checked there was enough room.)

>[...fips legend...]
>
>	MS-DOS can see the second partition and will use it quite happily.
>
>	(the system type `0xa5' had to be munged in by hand --
>pointers to .exes to do it for you, gratefully received)

Again, either pfdisk or the NetBSD fdisk work great for that.

> I can mount /dev/fd0a as a msdos device and copy stuff from it (hence
>the output from fips) but disklabel says:
>
>disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

I seem to remember this error will occur, but the disklabel command actually
succeeds.

> I can't mount /dev/wd1?, mount says:
>
>msdos: mount: Invalid argument
>
> but disklabel (only for wd1 or wd1d -- presumably for the
>inconsistent reasons currently being discussed) says:
>#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>  d: 536870911        0    unused        0     0        # (Cyl.    0 - 3947580

You'll need to fix this 'd' partition.

--Ken