Subject: Digiboard PC/x driver
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <danielce@ee.mu.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/14/1994 19:59:46
Scott Reynolds writes:
 > I'm working on a driver for the Digiboard PC/x multiport cards, and I'm
 > wondering if anybody out there has programming info on the card.  I'm not
 > having a particularly easy time getting info from Digi, unfortunately.
 >
 > I've got a card here and the time to work on it... if anyone can help,
 > please let me know.

I have a DigiBoard PC/8 running happily under linux. While you may
think this doesn't help you, the following information will: it is
using the standard serial drivers.

The PC/x's are very simple boards - the indivdual UART's are
accessible directly, and the interrupts are wired together in an
isa-safe way.  This is all you need to use the ports. My guess is that
a netbsd config like:

device	com3	at isa? port 0x100 irq 2
device	com4	at isa? port 0x108 irq 2
device	com5	at isa? port 0x110 irq 2
device	com6	at isa? port 0x118 irq 2

or whatever are the right numbers should be fine.

There is an additional status register or two on the board, which keep
track of which UARTS have asked for interrupts. I don't have
information on exactly what goes in here, but i'd expect that it's
very simple to figure out. I didn't bother looking into it or writing
code (the linux serial drivers only look at the UARTS for ports that
are currently open anyway - probably the netbsd ones also).

I don't know how the AST boards work, probably the same or very
similar.

The DigiBoard PC/i's are (to mix metaphors) a whole 'nother kettle of
worms.

--
Dan.