Subject: problems adding a new isa device driver
To: None <port-i386@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/1993 12:18:49
I'm trying to fudge the soundblaster driver written by Steven McCanne
of LBL for BSDI into NetBSD-current. This is to go with Chris Maeda's (sp?)
port of the multicasting code, and will permit the BSDI binary of the 'vat'
program to do audio i/o.

I can't use the other sb driver I've seen floating around, the vat binary
needs specific ioctl-level behaviour in this driver.

It looks like some of the BSDI ISA interrupt/device driver code is in the
process of being cut over: the arch/i386/isa/isavar.h file is the evidence,
it provides some of the data structs and #defines used by their scheme for
interrupt/driver installation and rendezvous. However I can't see any
other drivers in the i386/isa directory that use it.

I've managed to convert most of the calls back to the old struct isa_device
call used in NetBSD-0.9 but I'm stymied by some DMA stuff: BSDI provides
some lightweight calls into AT bus DMA and the isa.c equivalents look
just a bit too different. Before i really stuff myself up here, is there
work in progress that will simplify a cross-port of a BSDI driver into NetBSD?

(I'm using the Dec 16 snapshot of sys and include, I see other problems
 with making a functional kernel from this code but that isn't the immediate
 problem)

	-George, who is new to this game and apologizes if this is misuse
	 of the list...