Port-hppa archive

Re: Netboot a NetBSD kernel then use a local filesystem?

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> writes:
>> The available documentation seems to cover only the case of
>> netbooting with storage on NFS.  What I'd like to do is load the
>> kernel from a netboot server but then run with local storage.

> This used to work fine; I would hope it still does, but I haven't
> actually tried it on anything even vaguely recent.

> The way it used to be done is that you'd build a kernel with, for
> example,
> config netbsd root on sd2a type ?
> instead of the usual
> config netbsd root on ? type ?

Ah-hah.  I see in sys/arch/hppa/conf/GENERIC:

# Kernel root file system and dump configuration.
config          netbsd  root on ? type ?
#config         netbsd  root on sd0a type ffs
#config         netbsd  root on ? type nfs

so it looks like your memory is perfect.  I'll try this
tomorrow - thanks for the tip!

			regards, tom lane