Subject: Re: NetBSD 4.0 release config
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@stderr.spb.ru>
From: Michael Wileman <jwileman@panix.com>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 12/26/2007 20:02:19
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 13:13:52 -0500, Michael Wileman wrote:
>
>> I'm just trying to cross-compile a new hpcsh kernel using the NetBSD
>> 4.0 release sources on an i386 machine.  It works fine if I use the
>> default GENERIC config that comes with 4.0, but it won't handle some
>> of the options I had in my previous (3.99.8) kernel.  Here is a diff
>> between the version that worked (i.e., with the offending options
>> commented out), and the version I would have liked to compile.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated here.
>
> What are the error messages when you try to compile that config?  I've
> tweaked GENERIC to include the options you want and the kernel
> compiled just fine.

Thanks, Uwe.  The error messages were all about missing files.  It
turns out that none of the tar archive source collections is complete
except for -current.  When I downloaded one set of the 4.0 sources
then updated it using CVS, everything compiled with no problem.  I
don't know why all the files weren't in the archives.

I avoided using the -current sources because someone else I know who
works in the NetBSD project told me that -current was undergoing some
major changes, and now might not be a good time to use it unless I
wanted to participate in the debugging. :)

Mike