Subject: Re: HP Jornada 620LX hangs when trying to use root fs
To: None <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Hernani Marques Madeira <hernani@vecirex.net>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 11/19/2006 00:24:51
--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 02:02:31AM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> What does disklabel say about the CF, wd0a in particular?

The problem is solved now -- and it lay in this area. I forgott to use
an entry for the UFS fs (id 169) with fdisk(8).

It was a document you helped creating that lead me to the solution:
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/netbsd/jornada/netbsd-hpc-euro2004.pdf

So, thanks twice!

But, can you explain me why one hasn't to define the existence of this
partition using fdisk(8) on a HP Jornada 720?

There it worked only by declaring the DOS partition; I thought the
use of fdisk would be especially important for Windows, for that it can
find the partition. I thought the kernel would rely on the label made by=20
diskalbel(8) and not on the "DOS" partition table.

Btw, I used your new version of hpcboot, which works.

The ZIP filed contained to binaries, one named _d and the other _r,
slightly differing in size.

I used the version named _d , but what's the difference to the one named _r?

> You can tick the "ask for file name to boot from" checkbox in hpcboot
> and the kernel will ask you to for the root partition (if it turns out
> that it's not wd0a, which is my first guess).

I had tried that before when it didn't work, but it hanged, too.

--=20
hernani

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ--