Subject: Re: Booting Jornada 690 and ne0
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 09/01/2006 08:38:08
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 11:34:33 +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
>
>> I've been reading the thread beginning with:
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcsh/2006/08/12/0000.html
>>
>> I have the same boot problems with my 690 (UK model), i.e. without a
>> serial console I get Exception Event Code = 40 and a reset. As a data
>> point, I tried hpcboot build 13 referred to in:
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcsh/2006/08/14/0000.html
>> It didn't work for me either.
> [...]
>> I've tried 3.1_RC1 and 4.99.1 kernels.
>
> So, does 3.1_RC1 exhibits this behaviour?

Yes.

> I will try to find time to take a look.  Unfortunately, I've been very
> busy with work recenlty. :(

Luckily, I've chosen to make getting this working part of my work :-)

> I've sent Adam a freshly compiled hpcboot and it worked for him.

See other mail - it works for me too. Thanks for that - I guess it'll make
its way into 3.1?

>> I found my old Dayna PCMCIA network card, but when I insert it hangs after
>> the first ne0 line:
>> hd64461pcmcia0 at hd64461if0
>> pcmcia0 at hd64461pcmcia0
>> ne0 at pcmcia0 function 0: <Dayna Communications, Inc., CommuniCard E, >
>
> Do you have an NetBSD/i386 machine with pcmcia to check if it works
> there (booting a livecd on an i386 laptop should be enough)?

No, it doesn't:
ne0: where did the card go?

Sorry for the noise.

> Does the kernel really hangs?  Can you break into DDB?

When I remove it, it panics so no, it doesn't hang completely. I suspect I
should be able to get into DDB (how do I do that over a serial console?).
I'll could take a look if it would be useful (bearing in mind that the
card's apparently dead).

--
Stephen