Subject: Re: new binary packages for NetBSD/hpcsh
To: David Geer <David@GeerCom.com>
From: Christer O. Andersson <christer@a-son.net>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 05/30/2006 00:42:27
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:00:27PM -0400, David Geer wrote:
> What's a good compact flash card that will work with the Jornada and with my
> IBM Thinkpad R40? Does it matter which model R40? Also, what make and model
> WiFi card for the Jornada is supported by NetBSD hpcsh?

I don't know what works with your thinkpad, but Jornada 680 works
with sandisk. I use a 256MB plain CF and a 1GB extreme III. Both
works fine, but 256MB is a bit too small. The extreme III is not
faster in the Jornada, at least not according to my simple
measurements.

Lucent based WiFi's work right out the box with the GENERIC kernel.
Cisco Aironet works with a custom kernel. You do need a 16 bit
pcmcia card, the Jornada doesn't support 32 bit Cardbus.

> Are there binaries for this setup to enable things like e-mail, web
> browsing, image viewing and word processing yet? Where do I find those?

Most things that are supported for other platforms are supported
for hpcsh. Of course the limited amount of RAM has a major impact
on large applications. Most people run hpcsh without swap or with
NFS mounted swap, that limits the usability of memory hogging
programs as well. Even if you use a swap partition on your flash
card it will be rather slow, and probably wear out you CF faster.
You can find all kind of packages in the NetBSD packages collection.
Either as source, or as binary packages at the site mentioned in
the beginning of this thread. It is a bit slow to compile on the
hpcsh.

I use mutt for email and links for browsing the web. I think I've
read that xpdf works. Word processing I don't know. Text editors
should work. Vi is included in the default install, but that is
perhaps not word processing.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken