Subject: Package build problem
To: port-hpcsh list <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wileman <jwileman@panix.com>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 02/20/2006 14:20:15
Still haven't solved the problem with nspr, so I decided just to
package up gaim as is.

The package built and installed OK. I removed all audio, encryption
and national language support, which explains some of the errors
below.

Anyway, when I tried to "make package", the process fails with a tar
error. Has anyone seen this before. I don't understand why the package
would build and install correctly, but refuse to build.

Here is the output of "make package"

13:10 <1> mikewheel@net680[0]/usr/pkgsrc/chat/gaim#make package
===> *** No /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found,
===> *** skipping vulnerability checks. To fix, install
===> *** the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages package and run
===> *** '/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
===> Packaging gaim-1.3.1nb1
===> Building binary package for gaim-1.3.1nb1
Creating package /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All/gaim-1.3.1nb1.tgz
Using SrcDir value of /usr/pkg
Registering depends: glib2>=2.6.1 gtk2+>=2.6.4nb1 xdg-dirs>=1.1.
Registering conflicts: gaim-gnome-[0-9]*.
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/lib/gaim/libsilcgaim.la'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/share/locale/am/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/share/locale/az/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo'

[similar lines regarding national language support deleted]

pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo'
pkg_create: can't stat `/usr/pkg/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo'
tar: Unable to access lib/gaim/libsilcgaim.la (No such file or directory)
tar: Unable to access share/locale/am/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo (No such file or directory)
tar: Unable to access share/locale/az/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo (No such file or directory)

[another deletion of similar lines]

tar: Unable to access share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo (No such file or directory)
tar: WARNING! These file names were not selected:
lib/gaim/libsilcgaim.la
share/locale/am/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo
share/locale/az/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo

[snip]

share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/gaim.mo
pkg_create: tar command failed with code 256
(pkg_create: exitcode 2)
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/chat/gaim
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/chat/gaim
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/chat/gaim
13:18 <2> mikewheel@net680[1]/usr/pkgsrc/chat/gaim#

Any ideas? Is the process failing because of the removal of sound
and/or national language support. I did this properly using config
switches passed in the Makefile, not by hacking into it.

I suspect there may also be some confusion here between BSD and GNU
tools, but don't really know how to proceed.

If anyone wants to play with it, I can send them the build directory
(about 150M, surely much less once tarred and gzipped).

It's actually quite useable on the small screen once appropriate
adjustements have been made to window size. With a wireless card,
allows the Jornada to be used as a nice handheld chat device.

Mike