Subject: Re: Miniroot
To: port-hpcsh list <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Christer O. Andersson <christer@a-son.net>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 01/03/2006 22:10:20
On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:35:58PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> Right, you can still used embedded miniroot.  There's a kernel option
> MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT that tells kernel to ignore the root fs option and
> to always use the embedded miniroot.

> What are the MEMORY_DISK_* kernel options that you use?

options         MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
options         MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT     # force root on memory disk
options         MEMORY_DISK_SERVER=0    # no userspace memory disk support
#options        MEMORY_DISK_IMAGE
#options        MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC     # fs image don't exist in data section.
options         MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=2048      # size of memory disk, in blocks

I think I had MEMORY_DISK_DYNAMIC active and MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=2048
commented while trying a detached miniroot.

So, next time I'll try commenting MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT.

But this is the same as RAMDISK use, at least -current, except that
it uses MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=8192. Doesn't that indicate that the
miniroot is embedded? I also seem to recall that somebody on the
list mentioned booting an install kernel without a detached miniroot.

I found this too (also in -current):

christer@tango:/export/netbsd-current/src$ grep -r mdset distrib/hpcsh/Makefile
.include "${DISTRIBDIR}/common/Makefile.mdset"
christer@tango:/export/netbsd-current/src$

but I have difficulties following the makefiles, so I could be mistaken.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken