Subject: Re: No keyboard with current Re: upgrading distribution
To: Nikos Ntarmos <ntarmos@ceid.upatras.gr>
From: Michael Wileman <jwileman@panix.com>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 08/28/2005 11:10:50
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Nikos Ntarmos wrote:

>> Then it locks up hard, so it seems that the 3-stable kernel doesn't
>> work with the current userland.
>
> Running a -STABLE kernel with an -CURRENT userland is a bad idea. As a
> matter of fact, running a kernel older than your userland is surely
> asking for trouble. This doesn't hold the other way round (usually),
> that's why you first upgrade your kernel and then your userland. FYI:
> http://netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#what-to-do

Well, I was only trying this because the -CURRENT kernel was not
working; I couldn't use the keyboard. I upgraded both the kernel and
userland toether by putting the CF into an i386 NetBSD machine.

>> defaults fix:
>>         /mnt/newetc//usr.sbin/pf/etc/defaults is not a directory;
>> skipping check
>>         Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/twm to /etc/X11/twm [NOT FIXED]
>>         Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm to /etc/X11/xdm [NOT FIXED]
>>         Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit to /etc/X11/xinit [NOT FIXED]
>>         Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver to /etc/X11/xserver [NOT
>> FIXED]
>>         Migrate /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xsm to /etc/X11/xsm [NOT FIXED]
> [...]
>> postinstall fixes failed: defaults gid uid x11
>
> These fixes failed, so your system isn't quite up-to-date. Usually
> re-running postinstall with the failed fixes does the trick. If not, you
> should be able to do these fixes manually (i.e. making the missing
> directory, adding the missing groups/users, moving the x11 files, etc.)

Well, it was probably not finding th esource files. I gave it a source
directory on an NFS server that had etc.tgz and xetc.tgz extracted
into it. I bet these files were somewhere else. Since I installed all
the other sets, can I just run postinstall again using / as the source
directory, or is it still going to need the xetc.tgz files at the same
time?

This is a small problem, though. My main problem is no keyboard
support with the -CURRENT kernel. Unless I can get this repaired, I'll
have to reload my backup of the old system.

Mike