Subject: Re: Pkgsrc crosscompile
To: None <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 07/06/2005 19:13:27
On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:27:54 +0000, bill gacie wrote:

> On 7/2/05, bill gacie <billgacie@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Bug Krister:
> > >
> > >     http://2004.eurobsdcon.org/uploads/media/EBSD04_38.pdf
>
> Uwe would you like to describe me/us this metod in details for
> i386/hpcsh.

Krister's method requires an emulator (iirc he uses gdb sim).  He did
the work for arm, I don't know if he ever tested sh3.  Honestly, I
haven't looked closely, nothing beyond a chat over beer at the
conference.

> It looked so easy and nice on paper but when I tried to make
> crosscompile enviroment on my i386 for hpcsh it failed - I mean "I
> failed" :D. I've got problems with making "hpcsh" enviroment - I'm
> not sure even where I'm making something wrong

It's easy to get a generic cross environment targeting specific netbsd
port.  I have some old notes at:

    http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/netbsd/cross.html

The notes were done on a slow build box, so they trade doing more
steps manually for less time to build.  On a modern pc where world is
build in under an hour it's faster to just build distribution instead.
Then do the same symlinking dance.

The resulting cross environment is NOT suitable for pkgsrc, as it's
just a pure cross environment, and pkgsrc does not support cross
compilation.  That environment is suitbale for manually building
autoconfed software aware about cross compilation.  It's also suitbale
for doing your own cross-development.

OTOH, the whole point of Krister's work is to trick pkgsrc into
working with what it thinks is a native target system, but to call
cross environment instead and in general to run as much as possible on
the host.  But as I said, I never really tried it.

SY, Uwe