Subject: Re: status of port
To: None <port-hpcsh@netbsd.org>
From: Vesa A Norrman <vnorrman@cc.hut.fi>
List: port-hpcsh
Date: 12/08/2002 19:12:30
On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Robert Solomon wrote:

> I've got a used Jornada 680, 32 MB, US model, and want to run
> some kind of Unix on it.
>
> I started off with Minix-SH but am frustrated by the lack of a US
> keyboard driver and the absence of source or tools to fix it.
>
> Before I invest in a 256MB CF card and USB adaptor, I would like
> to know:

I'm curious, what can you do with an usb adaptor?

> 1) Generally, is the net-BSD port a working system or is it still
> in the early stages?

I have used the port very little but I can tell you something.
It looks like a working system but with a little weirdness.
For example tetris works fine but when the game is paused I get a
segmentation fault. There is no installation program. Installation
happens in miniroot.

> 2) Is anyone using it?  I'm not talking about hundreds of
> people, but are there two or three of you I can turn to for help
> when I really get stuck?

No idea. Not many I guess.

> 3) Is US keyboard supported?

No. The international keymap seems to work but it lacks some very
important keys. I would like to create US keymap but I don't know how to
create keymaps.

> 4) Can I do development on the Jornada?  (I run Slack on my
> desktop.)

Why do you think it's not possible?

> 5) Where can UP TO DATE install instructions be found?  Is there
> a binary distro, or do I have to build it from source?

I was not able to find any up to date install instruction.
There is a binary snapshot and 1.6-release but I did not try them.
I have written some notes about the installation and you can
take a look at
http://www.hut.fi/~vnorrman/hpcsh/workout.html
Unfortunaly, they require patching and building, and are not finished.
Vesa

--
                                    /`---*\
                                   = ^ o ^ =