Subject: Workpad Z50 install doc / hpcbatterytable.h
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Khoa Tran <piper_the@hotmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/09/2007 18:34:13
--_e8331a9b-9565-4bda-8848-646e9cf5869c_

Hello Everyone,

With a bit of urging from list-member Dereck, I've finally gotten around to=
 writing a more comprehensive install document for the Workpad Z50. Be pati=
ent though, this might take a while :P

A general question/comment/etc.:

Power management is one of the areas most lacking, I'm sure you'll agree. T=
he apm implementation and battery meter are far too crude, and the system f=
orce-suspends when I use the AA battery pack (I'm assuming this is because =
NiMH batteries are 1.2V nominal and not 1.5V), assuming that a freshly-char=
ged set of batteries is at "critical" voltage. I'm sure the performance wit=
h the Li-Ion pack is also iffy. I get around this by carefully commenting o=
ut relevant sections of vrpiu.c to disable the force-suspend when the syste=
m thinks that the battery level is critical, but this is Wrong. Besides, on=
e can't expect to bring a multimeter with him all of the time and pop open =
the battery cover to examine the voltage of the top AA battery (for those o=
f you who care and are crazy enough to do the same as I do, I've found that=
 1.250 V under load is a good time to change batteries, since at that point=
, you're at 1.25x8 =3D 10V, and the original Li-Ion battery pack is rated a=
t 11.1 V).

Now, with a bit of digging, I found hpcbatterytable.h, which seems to conta=
in values for battery status levels at 100%, 80%, 50%, 20%, and critical, a=
mongst other things. The problem is, these don't seem to be voltages. For i=
nstance, 100% has a value of 945, 80% is 915, 20% is 855, etc. Unfortunatel=
y, I don't have=20
much experience with APM/power management, etc., so the best I'll be able t=
o do at this point is to lower the values in the table, and hopefully by tr=
ial-and-error, find values that'll work. This of course means lots of kerne=
l recompiling, which I can get down to ~2h with distcc, but it's still a go=
od amount of time. Does anyone have any ideas?

cheers!

~k

Use fowl language with Chicktionary. Click here to start playing!
http://puzzles.sympatico.msn.ca/chicktionary/index.html?icid=3Dhtmlsig=

--_e8331a9b-9565-4bda-8848-646e9cf5869c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hello Everyone,<br><br>With a bit of urging from list-member Dereck, I've f=
inally gotten around to writing a more comprehensive install document for t=
he Workpad Z50. Be patient though, this might take a while :P<br><br>A gene=
ral question/comment/etc.:<br><br>Power management is one of the areas most=
[...]
nal Li-Ion battery pack is rated at 11.1 V).<br><br>Now, with a bit of digg=
ing, I found hpcbatterytable.h, which seems to contain values for battery s=
tatus levels at 100%, 80%, 50%, 20%, and critical, amongst other things. Th=
e problem is, these don't seem to be voltages. For instance, 100% has a val=
ue of 945, 80% is 915, 20% is 855, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have <br>muc=
h experience with APM/power management, etc., so the best I'll be able to d=
o at this point is to lower the values in the table, and hopefully by trial=
-and-error, find values that'll work. This of course means lots of kernel r=
ecompiling, which I can get down to ~2h with distcc, but it's still a good =
ref=3D'http://asksanta.ca/?icid=3DSANTAENCA005' target=3D'_new'>Visit asksa=
nta.ca to learn more!</a></body>

--_e8331a9b-9565-4bda-8848-646e9cf5869c_--