Subject: Re: -current (4.99.29) on Z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/24/2007 11:38:59
>>> I've been [...] trying to get a straight answer on whether
>>> microdrives > 2GB will work with the z50.
>> Well, I'm running mine with a Seagate "8GB" drive
> Do you notice a difference in how long your batteries last with the
> 8gb vs a smaller microdrive?

I have run the machine so little with anything else in the CF slot that
I'm not competent to comment on this, except to say that I get about
two and a quarter hours of run time on a full charge.  That's
software-developer use, which means hitting the disk at least
moderately frequently - and heavily for a little while when I do a
compile or some such.  But it's also with nothing in the PCMCIA slot;
when I'm running on battery I'm usually running without network (on an
inter-city bus).

Of course, battery run-time depends so heavily on battery condition
that this probably doesn't mean much, but it's about all I can say.

> Also, silly question, and I'm sure I'll have googled it by the time I
> read the answer, but an 8gb seagate microdrive will run me about how
> much these days?

Mine came from a friend, who I understand found it on ebay.  I don't
remember the exact price; I think it was somewhere around $100 CAD - I
can probably find out if it matters.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign