Subject: Vadem Clio 1050 rom module replace with netbsd - making it truly embedded
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Sell <juergen.sell@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/10/2007 14:53:59
Hi,
thanks to various replies I have become quite fond of running netbsd on my Clio.
The next step might well be to replace the wince rom completely with netbsd.
That would help avoid the detour of initializing wince first only to
run the bpsdboot netbsd loader.

So has anyone any information or experience regarding the replacement
of the wince rom module? For those not owning the real thing it is a
small pcb with two large ICs labeled Vadem something plus some small
smd entities which look like capacitors and some such.

It would be way cool to turn the power switch and have the device just
boot into netbsd.

Since I do not have a profound background on embedded hardware I was
wondering what kind of software or firmware or bios would have to go
into this module? Also I am not familiar with the hardware on this
pcb.

I understand this aspect might not be best suited for this mailing
list but a short search did not reveal any list deeming more
appropriate.

Any and all pointers welcome. Thanks. Juergen