Subject: Re: Installing net-BSD hpcmips on compaq 2010C
To: Matias Gut <matiasar@tournet.com.ar>
From: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@mchsi.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/31/2007 10:55:53
Matias Gut wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Thanks for the advice, I'll try it when I get home.
> By the way I'm using your text "Installing NetBSD 2.0 on the NEC
> Mobilepro 880" as guide.
>
> Still I didn't achieve to to copy the sets to the bigger bsd
> partition, because I don't hava another box running some BSD. I'm
> trying to copy from a linux box... but it seems that not any kernel
> supports mounting ufs filesystems for read/write.
>
> Thanks,
> Matías

Matias,
 If you load a .20 kernel, and compile it yourself (ie configure your
own .config; make config or make xconfig etc will allow you to configure
what you are going to put into your kernel... not sure if I need to
mention that or not. I couldn't tell from your post if you meant "None
of the included distro standard kernels support UFS read/write" or that
you couldn't config your own after trying. Anyway, try compiling your
own 2.6.20, and add UFS support, and then underneath that option, add
the experimental UFS write feature. At that point, you should be good.
I've heard mixed reports on the success of this experimental feauture
however; some people say they lost UFS partitions after trying to write
to them under Linux, so back up your data (or be prepared to prep the
card again after wiping it.) Personally, I have had success with 2 UFS
drives (IDE drives) so far.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Nick