Subject: Re: ROM upgrade from nec Mobilepro 780 to 790
To: Forest Bond <forest@alittletooquiet.net>
From: Rory O\"C <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/23/2007 11:16:34
Forest Bond wrote:

>Hi Giacomo,
>
>On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 06:49:44PM +0100, giacomomariani wrote:
>

>>What I don't know is how to access the 16MB of flash memory that must by
>>on my new RAM (the one of a Mobilepro 790)
>>that are nor seen by win or bsd.
>>

>I don't believe this is flash memory, but actually factory-programmed ROM.  You
>can't change its contents, AFAIK.  (Unless your MP790 is different from my
>MP780).
>
>-Forest

A bit of both (mostly flash, though) per this review at
http://hpcnec.com/cgi-bin/simpleforum.cgi?fid=10&topic_id=1148583160

"New to the MobilePro 790 is 16 Mb of non-volatile Flash ROM. 14 Mb can
be used for backup, additional storage, or software applications. 2 Mb
is reserved for Windows CE application and operating system patches.
Thanks to this permanent storage feature, I didn't have to worry about
my battery running out of juice during my airport delays—I kept saving
this review into the predefined folder named "Internal Flash ROM." As
with other Handheld and Pocket PCs, an additional 32 Mb of RAM is used
both for storage and for system memory. That means that, in most cases,
at least 16 Mb of internal RAM is available for storage. "

One other fact I can tell you: if you put the 790 ROM chip in a 880 to
make it a "890" (for WinCE HPC 2000 "upgrade"), it seems to disable the
USB port for NetBSD 3.1, which I found out the hard way. When I put the
880 ROM back in, the USB started working again.

Rory