Subject: 3.1 can't selfhost??
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/05/2007 00:17:05
I have a WorkPad z50, which I have booting 3.1 (diskless, for the time
being).  As usual, the first thing I did when I got it working from the
release binaries was to try to rebuild from source.

In this case, that meant first building a kernel and rebooting from it,
which went fine.  Then I created ~/DESTDIR and ~/OBJDIR and running

===> build.sh command: ./build.sh -D /home/mouse/DESTDIR -O /home/mouse/OBJDIR -U build

This ticked along nicely for about a day and a half, then fell over:

do-lib-libc ===> .
dependall ===> lib/libc
#      yacc  libc/nsparser.c
...many lines snipped...
#     build  libc/libc.so.12.128.2
rm -f libc.so.12.128.2
/home/mouse/OBJDIR/tooldir.NetBSD-3.1-mipsel/bin/mipsel--netbsd-gcc [...]
ln -sf libc.so.12.128.2 libc.so.12.tmp
mv -f libc.so.12.tmp libc.so.12
ln -sf libc.so.12.128.2 libc.so.tmp
mv -f libc.so.tmp libc.so
#   compile  libc/llib-lc.ln
rm -f llib-lc.ln
CC=/home/mouse/OBJDIR/tooldir.NetBSD-3.1-mipsel/bin/mipsel--netbsd-gcc /home/mouse/OBJDIR/tooldir.NetBSD-3.1-mipsel/bin/mipsel--netbsd-lint -Cc Lint_bswap16.ln Lint_bswap32.ln Lint_swapcontext.ln Lint_htonl.ln Lint_htons.ln Lint_ntohl.ln Lint_ntohs.ln Lint_Ovfork.ln [...many more...]
Lint pass2:
mipsel--netbsd-lint2: input file error: sysconf.ln

*** Failed target:  llib-lc.ln
*** Failed command: [the same huge command]
*** Error code 1

Stop.
nbmake: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libc
[...failure cascade up to the top level...]

Inspection reveals that OBJDIR/lib/libc/sysconf.ln is an "ELF 32-bit
LSB MIPS-I relocatable, MIPS, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped" instead
of the text files that all the other .ln files in OBJDIR/lib/libc are.
How it got that way is, of course, the mystery.

Is 3.1 hpcmips known to self-host, in which case I should be digging
locally to find out why it isn't working for me?  Or is this a real
bug?

I'm going to empty out DESTDIR and OBJDIR and try again, but I expect
it to take another day and a half before I have any results.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign