Subject: None
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/25/2007 15:44:02
I wrote, back on Wednnesday (02-21), about a WorkPad z50 which had
decided to stop booting with "couldn't determine symbol block size".
After exchanging email with the person I got it from, I got it working
by the simple expedient of mounting the microdrive in a CF-to-PCMCIA
adapter on another machine, destroying HPCBOOT.EXE, NETBSD, and hpcboot
in the msdos partition, and then copying hpcboot.exe from the 3.1
installation directory as HPCBOOT.EXE and netbsd from the 3.1 binary
tarballs as NETBSD.  I ran hpcboot, fiddled the settings to what I
wanted, and it came up just fine.  Diskless, to be sure; I don't have
room on the 340M microdrive for what I want to do with it, so I'm
running it diskless pending finding a larger microdrive.  (I don't
suppose anyone here has one looking for a home? :-)

I had to do a little setup that normally sysinst would have done for
me, but sysinst doesn't seem to have a mode to install into a diskless
root area (in my experience, which admittedly has not included
hpcmips).

But at least it doesn't look like a hardware failure.  Presumably I
managed to corrupt something before taking the first snapshot....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign