Subject: Re: life of CF card
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/19/2006 08:33:32
On 12/19 08:17 , Thomas Isenbarger wrote:
> One thing that I have seen already is that it states one of the
> limitations is that it is not made to provide exact re-imaging of
> failed disks, though it says an exact image of a Unix/Linux file
> system may be able to be made.
>
> That is one thing I would like to be able to do for a failed CF
> card:  rewrite the backup to a new card.  Do you have any experience
> with that?

yeah, I've done full bare-metal restores from backuppc many times. Never on
a small non-x86 box tho.
tar+netcat is what's needed on the client side (unless you have some other
transport mechanism... netcat is what I usually use). I don't know if the
netbsd installer has netcat (AFAIK it has pax instead of tar, which I think
will work).

anyone know a simple way to get netcat on a 'rescue image' that runs in RAM
on an hpcmips machine?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator