Subject: Re: life of CF card
To: Thomas Isenbarger <tom@isenbarger.us>
From: elijah rutschman <elijahr@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/18/2006 22:15:52
------=_Part_21393_15716127.1166501752769

Hi Thomas,
Look into the 'dd' command for backing up the contents of the CF card.  You
can make byte-for-byte image backups of any disk partition, even if your
operating system does not know how to mount the partition's filesystem.  dd
is available on most *nix operating systems, including Mac OS X.

-Elijah

On 12/18/06, Thomas Isenbarger <tom@isenbarger.us> wrote:

> >> I have a Powerbook with a PC card slot and an appropriate adapter for
> >> my CF card.  Does anyone have a good solution for backing up a CF
> >> card using a Mac, for instance, writing the contents of the CF card
> >> to a file on my Powerbook in some way?
> >
> > Hopefully, the device is accessible via /dev/wd.. or something
> > similar.  If you
> > know which device fd to use, you can simply `cat /dev/wd0 | gzip >
> > backup.gz`.
> > But that means that, in order to restore your backup, you really
> > ought to
> > restore it to a CF card that is completely identical to the card
> > your backup
> > came from.  Otherwise, you will need to figure out how to mount the
> > card and tar
> > up the filesystem.  I don't know the BSDs all that well, and
> > probably couldn't
> > give you advice on how to do that sort of thing.
>
> Does anyone else have any good backup solutions?
>
> Thanks,
> isen

------=_Part_21393_15716127.1166501752769

Hi Thomas,<br>Look into the 'dd' command for backing up the contents of the CF card.&nbsp; You can make byte-for-byte image backups of any disk partition, even if your operating system does not know how to mount the partition's filesystem.&nbsp; dd is available on most *nix operating systems, including Mac OS X.
&gt;&gt; I have a Powerbook with a PC card slot and an appropriate adapter for<br>&gt;&gt; my CF card.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone have a good solution for backing up a CF<br>&gt;&gt; card using a Mac, for instance, writing the contents of the CF card

------=_Part_21393_15716127.1166501752769--