Subject: Re: MP 780 - audio, Irda and USB on PCMCIA
To: Rory OC <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 08/22/2006 20:34:19
On 8/22/06, Rory OC <roryoc@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I believe the half-duplex audio is due to the the monoaural 2.5 mm
> headsets (telephone type) the MoPro was meant to accomodate ("stereo for
> a business handheld???"  - a concept beyond the NEC MoPro designers
> apparently ;-)
>
> As for USB (for anything) on PCMCIA, unless some vendor has produced a
> 16-bit PC card with that (maybe older USB 1.1 cards??), there is no way
> the MoPro is going to work with any Cardbus PC card that is all I have
> seen with USB, since that slot is strictly 16-bit Type I/II PCMCIA (as I
> understand it  ;-).

I agree with the above. I have never had the built in audio work on my
mobilepro 880. Then again, I never tried very hard and I don't have a
headset for it anyway.

Mine has USB, and I'm using a USB audio adapter (Turtle Beach
something or other which works on USB 1). I'm sure there are old
PCMCIA sound cards out there somewhere... I'm sure NetBSD supports
something related to it too.

On mine, if I try to do anything else at all, the sound breaks up. I'm
using madplay. If I don't do anything else, it works fine, but the
minute I type "ls", the sound quality suffers, probably for lack of
I/O I guess.

Andy