Subject: Re: Mobilepro battery life.
To: Matthew Gracie <graciem@canisius.edu>
From: Forest Bond <forest@alittletooquiet.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 07/28/2006 16:33:18
--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 01:30:38PM -0400, Matthew Gracie wrote:
> What sort of battery life are people getting with their Mobilepro 780s
> running NetBSD? The reason I ask is that I only get two or three hours
> out of mine, which doesn't seem quite right; I'm considering buying
> another battery for it, but I'd like to know whether that will actually
> give me more run time.

My MP 780 gets terrible battery life: 20% or so of what it gets under CE.
NetBSD does not utilize the power management features as well as CE (those
features are probably not documented anywhere, perhaps).

In any case, I purchased a portable DVD player battery at Radio Shack, and it
works quite well.  I can keep my 780 powered for a very long time, although I
haven't measured it exactly.  My priority was making sure I can suspend the
machine, and take it with me in a bag, without having to reboot into NetBSD.
I've left it in a bag for 48 hours or more, at this point, and it resumes just
fine when I unpack it.

Let me know if you'd like info (model no.) on the external battery I purchased.

-Forest

--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq

--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq--