Subject: Re: Mail clients.
To: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome@real-time.com>
From: Forest Bond <forest@alittletooquiet.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/15/2006 19:22:43
--GLp9dJVi+aaipsRk

> > Does Mutt still require the user to run an MTA on their machine to send
> > mail?=20
>=20
> yes.
> try nullmailer. You may want to use the Debian Linux patches on it, which
> makes it daemonize and log via syslog, instead of its usual djb-ish
> wierdness.

My version of mutt doesn't.  I have configured it to use msmtp, a simple sm=
pt
client, and it reads incoming mail that is delivered via
fetchmail->procmail->MailDir.  That's how I've used mutt for several years =
now,
I believe.

I just use my MobilePro 780 as an SSH machine, though, and use mutt running=
 on
my box at home.  You will find that:

1. wscons doesn't support 8-bit fonts (suitable for UTF-8), thus you will
likely want to run X just to use xterm (if you are connecting to non-NetBSD
boxes especially).
2. the MobilePro can't spare much memory once X is up and running, so if yo=
u can
squeaze all of your communications into an SSH connection, you will lower
overhead.  If I have X running, and try to run SSH plus some other simple
command-line stuff, those other processes will frequently get killed to avo=
id
OOM.

My 2 cents.

BTW if anyone has any tips to skirt the pitfalls I mentioned above, I am op=
en to
suggestions.

-Forest

--GLp9dJVi+aaipsRk