Subject: Re: Mail clients.
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Matthew Gracie <graciem@canisius.edu>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 06/15/2006 14:34:20
Ben Collver wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 02:02:38PM -0400, Matthew Gracie wrote:
>

>>Does Mutt still require the user to run an MTA on their machine to send
>>mail? Considering that I'm going to be using this at conferences and the
>>like, I don't know that port 25 will always be open for me to freely use
>>like that.
>>

>With pkgsrc/mail/msmtp, mutt does not need you to configure an MTA on
>your machine to send mail.
>
>I don't understand how they can block port 25 on your local machine.
>
>Ben

I'm not saying that port 25 incoming would be blocked on my local
machine. Rather, I have seen ISP configured so as to block port 25
traffic outward from an end user to anything _except_ the ISP's
sanctioned mail server. This is pretty common in some home broadband
networks as an anti-spam measure, to keep compromised hosts from sending
mail.

Anyway, that's my concern about that. But if I can use SMTPAUTH to send
the mail through the server here at work, that's great. I was just a
little concerned when I read the docs on the Mutt web page.

--Matt--

Matt Gracie			    (716) 888-2403
Information Security Administrator  graciem@canisius.edu
Canisius College ITS		    425531N / 0785109W
http://www2.canisius.edu/~graciem/graciem_public_key.gpg