Subject: IBM Z50 LCD Control
To: hpcmips <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: pete hilton <saruman@ruvolo-hilton.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/17/2006 10:52:06
Hi there,
               Having got netbsd working satisfactorily on my Z50, I have been
looking into how to control the brightness/contrast on the LCD.

Having looked at the ITE8181 specs that I have and the VR4171 chipset specs I
cannot see any registers which would allow anything other than backlight on
or off.  Obviously there is SOME way to handle brightness/contrast because
WINCE does it, but does anyone know (or have a pointer to) how this works.
I dont care about the buttons on the LCD panel because we can always use an
ioctl or some such once we know what the hardware mechanism is and  how it is
accessed.

If there is anyone from IBM out there watching this group who has a detailed
schematic or programming spec for the Z50, it would be very nice to hear from
them:-)) ... my guess in all this is that there is another control on the LCD
that is not documented publicly which handles the brightness/contrast.

cheers
pete

--
pete hilton