Subject: MobilePro 780 power management, ROM replacement
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Forest Bond <forest@alittletooquiet.net>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 03/01/2006 17:12:02
--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

Hello everyone,

New to the list here.  Nice to meet you.

I recently acquired an NEC MobilePro780, and promptly made an effort to=20
replace the Windows CE bit.  I managed to get it booting NetBSD 3.0=20
using pbsdboot.exe with CF root.  It works great as long as I'm plugged=20
in!

Unfortunately, if I put the thing to sleep and close the lid, the=20
battery dies, and all state information is lost within just a few hours. =
=20
I am forced back into Windows CE, and have to boot freshly into NetBSD. =20
This is no fun at all.

I guess I have a few questions:

1. When I have to reboot into NetBSD, the installation routine starts,=20
and creates /dev/* all over again.  I'd like to just create the device=20
nodes right in my filesystem on CF, so they don't have to be regenerated=20
at boot time.  What triggers this routine, and how can I prevent it?

2. I'm assuming that more tailored power management is what permits=20
Windows CE to retain its state information for such a dramatically=20
extended period of time.  As far as anyone is aware, is there any way to=20
improve NetBSD's power management?  I should think state would be=20
persistent for at least 6-10 hours with the unit in standby mode...

3. Has anyone had any luck replaceing the built in boot ROM's on their=20
handhelds?  Without this, every time my battery does finally die, I will=20
have to go through the Windows CE setup dialogs (which takes a couple of=20
minutes, and gets old fast) and then boot NetBSD from Windows CE.  This=20
is no fun at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Running SSH from Windows CE is a=20
dispicable habit that I would like to discontinue.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Forest

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH--