Subject: RE: NEC MobilePro 880 Compact Flash write speed?
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tyler Regas <tyler@pdahandyman.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/27/2006 12:59:50
> Ok, good to know.  Do you think that I would benefit from using
> "enhanced" flash like the Kingston Elite Pro. They claim better
> performance and power consumption.
>
> "Kingston offers a premium line of CompactFlash using Single
> Level Cell
> Technology (SLC). The Elite Pro line offers a memory grade for
> professionals such as digital photographers who require higher write
> speeds and lower power consumption out of their CompactFlash
> cards. This
> allows Elite Pro users the opportunity to get additional speed and
> performance out of their Digital Media based equipment."
>
> Sounds good.

It does, but general rule of thumb says that unless the speed benefits are
realized solely in hardware you will still be sidelined by the pipe. What
I'm saying is that, without know the exact specs on the CF interface of the
880, I'd warrant a guess that it will provide a bottleneck and that higher
speed CF cards will not necessarily benefit. Take a look at this article to
get an idea of the technologies involved:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/compact_flash_memory_cards.html

In short, depending on how fast the MP880's CF bus is, which likely isn't
blazing, you'd be paying for nothing to get a faster card.

Enjoy! Once you get it installed, please fill us in on X usage at 800x600 on
the NEC. My 770 only handles 640x240, so my display is always cut off and
unusable.