Subject: Re: MobilePro 800 without battery keeps suspending during install
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 02/24/2006 17:58:53
Andy Ruhl wrote:

>On 2/24/06, ROC <roryoc@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>I can't keep it on long enough to get installation of 3.0 started.  Each
>>time I press the poweron button, it comes on long to show some messages
>>about resuming, then suspending (too fast for me to catch it all ;-).
>>
>>Any ideas besides buying a battery?
>>

>If it was known what function in the kernel did that (I don't know,
>I'm not as smart as I think), it would be nice to compile an install
>kernel without it.
>
>Mine does that sometimes, with the battery in, at weird intervals.
>Don't know why. Sometimes it goes into screen saver mode in X at
>random intervals too.
>
>If someone knows that, I'd like to build a kernel without this
>function (if it's possible) and try again.
>
>Andy

Yeah - the power management is not as effective as the native WinCE
anyway - seems like it should be "optional".

Do you think I could install on the CF card in my MP780 (I used to have
1.6.x on it with that machine, then blew it away to use the card for
installing 3.0 on a Jornada 728 - hpcarm seems to be further behind in
usability than hpcmips, and the screen is just too small for my eyes at
least ;-), then move it over to the 800?  Does NetBSD have something
comparable to kudzu on linux  to dynamically detect hardware changes,
and "adjust" accordingly?

If  not, I guess I can intensify my efforts to find a battery - been
biding my time for a reasonable deal on eBay.  I seem to have seen some
statements that the MC-BA11A for the 880 should NOT be used to replace
the MC-BA11 for the 800.  Can anyone cofirm/deny?

TIA,

Rory