Subject: Re: first tipps to begin with a z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: Svend Sorensen <ssorensen@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/19/2005 09:42:53
On 12/19/05, come se fosse antani <antani@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that there are a lot of pages about z50 and netbsd but I'm a
> bit confusing.
> I'm lurking this ML since months and I collected a lot of info about
> the installation steps.
> on the hpcmips port webpage I find that the last release is the 2.1
> and in this ML I found that 'z50 works flawlessy with the standard
> kernel of netbsd 3.1,without the need of patching kernel'.
> 1.I guess that there are a typing error in it, right?

Yes, it was a typo.  I meant NetBSD 2.1.

> 2.normally I used (for the last tries in install netbsd) the zzball
> page. is ever uptodate with the current state?
> 3.I have a ethernet pcmcia card and a wireless card (both compatible
> with netbsd). I would like to install trough ftp and then I (think
> that I) need only the "launcher kernel", the one used for install
> netbsd.
> where can I find it? I found only the tar.gz parts (etc, games, x11,ecc).

The install kernel is under the install directory on the CD (it is
./hpcmips/installation).  For 2.1, the files are the same as the ones
here: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.1/hpcmips/installation/

You want to boot the netbsd.gz file.

The installation docs[*] explain the steps in more detail.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.1/hpcmips/INSTALL.html

> 4. I don't have the memory expansion for the z50 (impossible to
> find... anyone that sell one?) and I would like to use it for www
> browsing, blogging, sshing and somehow skypeing... what I've to
> install?

They show up on eBay once in a while, but they aren't cheap.