Subject: Booting into installation on NEC MobilePro 770
To: None <port-hpcmips@NetBSD.org>
From: Tyler Regas <tyler@pdahandyman.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 11/11/2005 12:31:13
I was finally able to install 2.1 on my MP770. I booted from a CF
card in a PCMCIA adapter and then used a Socket LP-Ethernet CF card
in the same adapter to download the packages from FTP. Installation
was to a 2GB CF card which is partitioned as ffs/swap/msdos. Having
never used a *nix on an embedded device before (can't count my Sharp
SL-5600 as that's what it was designed for) I am now stuck trying to
boot into it. I appear to have been lucky for a bit. I rebooted into
the install kernel, quit sysinst, and sent a reboot command, which
then promptly rebooted it to the card and not back into Windows CE. I
was under the impression that this was normal, as it worked a few
times. Then it stopped working. The only thing I did was set the
hostname, something I apparently forgot to do during the network setup.

I have hpcboot and netbsd.gz on the msdos partition of the CF card.
I'd like to keep the PCMCIA slot free for network cards. Any
suggestions on how I can do this?

Thanks,

Tyler