Subject: hpcboot and booting a linux-mips kernel.
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: oski <oski2001@hotmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 10/05/2005 18:07:50
Hi,

I now this is not a linux mailing list but I thing that you guys out there
know about booting z50 and other mipsel machines more than most!!!!(similar
mail posted in linux-mips mail list)
 I managed to make my vmlinux kernel
(for 2.4.30)
But I can not boot it in my z50 using hpcboot!!!

hpcboot identifies the file and seems to open it, indicates that loader=ELF
and goes as far as the 2nd boot loader and when the screen shoul change
color, indication of booting a kernel, the z50 freezes and hangs, and only a
soft reset bring it back to life.

When comparing .config with the Makefile of the linux-vr kernel I noticed
that the following lines are not in the 2.4.30 .config
CONFIG_ELF_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_MIPS_FPU_EMULATOR=y
The linux-vr kernel seems to be an ELF object. Is it the vmlinux I made an
ELF object by default?
How to know?
If not how and where I have to edit to make an ELF kernel?

Can this be the reason for no booting?

any comments will be appreciated.

many thanks

oski