Subject: Re: Retaining RAM disk on MobilePro 7x0
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/26/2005 17:53:05
On 2005-09-26 tv@duh.org wrote:

> At that point, it may be possible to soft reset WinCE, which doesn't erase
> storage memory, upon NetBSD reboot.

  Currently hpcmips reboot uses the DSU, which does cause memory to be
erased.  halt will use the suspend instruction; I think this resumes
execution and then performs the DSU reset.  The reset switch will reset
without erasing memory, so having halt spin and using the reset switch
might work (maybe the reset switch works in suspend mode too).  The
hibernate mode is used in powerdown, which might work (the memory erase
does not currently deal with multiple memory clusters correctly).

> I believe the data I mention above also contains the jump vector to use when
> the machine comes back up from a low power sleep (which is why
> NetBSD/hpcmips and NetBSD/hpcarm can't use low power sleep -- when
> awakening, they will jump back into the WinCE ROM, see corrupted memory, and
> hard reset).

  Resets and NMI go to 0xbfc00000.  I've looked at my Clio's ROM, but it
hit C code before following a hook from RAM and I haven't followed it
beyond that (yet).  The NEC documentation is very comprehensive.  The
global necel.com web site is missing documents again, but the local necel
sites seem to have the VR4121 user manual.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com