Subject: Re: Retaining RAM disk on MobilePro 7x0
To: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/26/2005 13:36:27
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, John Darrow wrote:

> What would be required to create a kernel which does not take over
> the entire RAM on the machine, but leaves intact the portion allocated
> in WinCE for "Storage Memory"?

When WinCE hard resets, the "storage memory" is wiped clean.  In order to
preserve it, WinCE must not hard reset.  To do that, you have to maintain
some sort of data in main memory, including the actual storage memory files
as well as some information needed by the ROM (I only know this bit at a
high level).

At that point, it may be possible to soft reset WinCE, which doesn't erase
storage memory, upon NetBSD reboot.

I believe the data I mention above also contains the jump vector to use when
the machine comes back up from a low power sleep (which is why
NetBSD/hpcmips and NetBSD/hpcarm can't use low power sleep -- when
awakening, they will jump back into the WinCE ROM, see corrupted memory, and
hard reset).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>