Subject: suggestions for 2nd try at installing on z50
To: None <port-hpcmips@netbsd.org>
From: dub20 <dub_twenty@fastmail.fm>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/26/2005 08:13:27
I made it thru the installation once, and had NetBSD running on my z50
for the weekend, before accidently messing up the filesystem [i didnt
properly reallocate the DOS partition, so windows still saw it as the
full 1gig of cf, instead of the mere 10mb I had allocated].

As I go thru the installation process a 2nd time, are there any
suggestions and steps I should take to improve the z50's functionality?
The biggest problem I was having was not having the LCD blank when the
system suspends [this used up the battery real quick]. A lot of the
keyboard stuff was limited too. No auto repeat, delete/backspace do the
same thing, arrow keys dont work at the command line, no caps lock,
ctrl+fucntionkey dont switch virtual terminals.
Many of these issues I've seen mentioned on the list, but there seem to
be many different patches and kernel versions floating around. Plus the
dates and netbsd versions vary, which makes it unclear as to what
features are now built into the kernel, and what still needs to
modified. For example, I'm using a 2.0-STABLE kernel from asty.org, as I
was getting the TLB out of universe error when trying to do an
installation using the kernel from the NetBSD ftp.

Swap space is another issue. As I stated, I'm using a 1gb cf, so I didnt
allocate any swap space, but at one point, I did notice the console
reporting "out of swap space" perhaps allocating a tiny swap [say
2048Kb] as I've seen suggested in another post, would be better?

Finally am I correct in understanding the only way to boot netbsd is
thru windowsCE, using pbsdboot.exe? Is hpcboot.exe essentially the same
thing [with a few more options layed out]? I assume most people just
leave it booted in NetBSD, and have it suspend when theyre not using it
[hence my problem of not having the lcd blank, and then needing to
reboot thru windows. and the rebooting process isnt always smooth,
sometimes needing me to remove batteries, and poke at the recessed reset
button..]

I'm loving my netbsd/z50. Now that I've gotten a sampling of using it, I
really want to fine tune it, and make it as functional as possible.
Thanks