Subject: Re: Installation troubles with NetBSD 2.0.2 on z50
To: Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 09/07/2005 09:18:34
On 9/7/05, Florian Cramer <cantsin@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 07. September 2005 um 07:38:06 Uhr (-0700) schrieb Andy Ruhl=
:
>=20
> > Can you post what type of disk it is, and what NetBSD thinks the geomet=
ry is?
>=20
> I tried two 1024 MB CF flash cards, one by Sandisk, the other a no-name
> brand with a Toshiba chip inside. Since I got identical problems with
> both of them, I sticked with the SanDisk.
>=20
> > If possible, can you attach the disk to another (hopefully not broken)
> > NetBSD system and compare results? Does it newfs on another system?
>=20
> It does newfs on the other system, yes, without problems,
> On that NetBSD system - actually a Thinkpad booted with a NetBSD
> 1.6 boot CD - I get the folling fdisk information for the card:
>=20
> NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
> cylinders: 678400 heads: 4 sectors/track: 0 (0 sectors/cylinder)
>=20
> BIOS disk geometry:
> cylinders: 497 heads: 64 sectors/track: 64 (4032 sectors/cylinder)
>=20
> disklabel /dev/sd0 says:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 1008
> total sectors: 10000944
>=20
> During the (unsuccessful) newfs run in the install routine, it says:
> /dev/rwd0a: 915.5 MB (1874912 sectors) block size 8192, fragment size
> 1024 using 21 cylinder groups of 43.50 MB, 5581 blks, 10816 inodes

If I'm reading this correct, those sector counts are WAY off, if both
are total sector counts. The one from the thinkpad seems even more
wrong? Strange. Are you plugging the card directly into the z50, and
using some kind of card reader on the thinkpad?

I can't really see what's happening here, maybe someone else can. Sorry.

Andy